Grove, Oklahoma is a small town located in the northeast corner of the state. The population of Grove is estimated to be around 5,000 people. It is situated in an area known as Green Country, which is known for its lush forests, rolling hills and beautiful lakes. The climate in Grove is mild and pleasant with four distinct seasons. Summers are warm and humid while winters are cool with occasional snowfall.
One of the most interesting aspects of Grove’s history is that it was founded by a group of settlers from Missouri in 1889. Since then, it has been a popular destination for those seeking a quiet and peaceful lifestyle. In terms of politics, Grove has been traditionally conservative with most residents voting Republican in elections. The economy in Grove is largely based on agriculture and tourism, with many local businesses catering to visitors who come to enjoy the town’s natural beauty.
In terms of education, Grove has several excellent schools including public elementary schools, middle schools and high school as well as private institutions such as Grove Christian School and St Joseph Catholic School. There are also several post-secondary institutions located nearby such as Northeastern State University in Tahlequah and Rogers State University in Claremore.
For visitors looking for something to do while visiting Grove there are plenty of attractions available such as Grand Lake O’ The Cherokees which offers boating, fishing and swimming activities; Har-Ber Village which showcases historical artifacts from the 19th century; Wolf Creek Park which provides camping sites; Honey Creek Area which offers hiking trails; and many more outdoor recreational options available throughout the year.
Population: 5,131. Estimated population in July 2020: 5,752 (+12.1% change)
Males: 2,290 (44.6%), Females: 2,841 (55.4%)
Zip codes: 74344.
Median resident age: 49.9 years
Median household income: $28,464
Median house value: $106,300
Races in Grove:
- White Non-Hispanic (81.7%)
- American Indian (15.7%)
- Two or more races (5.9%)
- Hispanic (1.7%)
- Other race (0.6%)
Ancestries: German (15.3%), Irish (10.7%), United States (9.8%), English (7.0%), Dutch (2.9%), French (2.8%).
Elevation: 760 feet
Land area: 9.0 square miles
Grove, Oklahoma, is located in Delaware County and has a population of 6,623 people as of 2019. The town is known for its picturesque lake and natural beauty, making it a popular destination for tourists. The median household income in Grove is $40,945, which is lower than the state median of $50,051. The cost of living in Grove is also lower than the national average; groceries are 8% less expensive than the national average and housing costs are 11% less expensive.
The unemployment rate in Grove is 3.3%, which is lower than the national rate of 3.7%. Despite this low unemployment rate, the poverty rate in Grove remains high at 18.7%. This means that approximately one-fifth of the population lives below the poverty line. Additionally, many citizens rely on government assistance programs to make ends meet; 13% receive SNAP benefits and 8% receive Medicaid or other public health insurance programs.
The strong tourism industry has helped to bolster job opportunities in Grove and create job security for local residents; however there are still many who struggle to make ends meet due to low wages and high cost of living expenses like healthcare and childcare services. To combat these issues, local non-profits have stepped up their efforts to provide assistance to those who need it most.
For population 25 years and over in Grove
- High school or higher: 81.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 7.7%
- Unemployed: 7.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 17.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Grove city
- Never married: 12.2%
- Now married: 64.6%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 10.9%
- Divorced: 11.3%
1.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +1,068 (+26.3%).
Hospital/medical center in Grove:
- GROVE GENERAL HOSPITAL (1310 SOUTH MAIN STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Grove:
- INTEGRIS BAPTIST REG HEALTH CENTER (about 19 miles; MIAMI, OK)
- WILLOW CREST HOSPITAL (about 21 miles; MIAMI, OK)
- GRAVETTE MEDICAL CENTER HOSPITAL (about 26 miles; GRAVETTE, AR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Grove:
- NORTHWEST ARKANSAS RGNL (about 41 miles; FAYETTEVILLE/SPRINGDALE/, AR; Abbreviation: XNA)
- JOPLIN REGIONAL (about 44 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Abbreviation: JLN)
- DRAKE FIELD (about 59 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Abbreviation: FYV)
Other public-use airports nearest to Grove:
- GROVE MUNI (about 4 miles; GROVE, OK; Abbreviation: GMJ)
- GRAND LAKE RGNL (about 5 miles; AFTON, OK; Abbreviation: 3O9)
- TERAMIRANDA (about 6 miles; AFTON, OK; Abbreviation: 79F)
According to andyeducation, Oklahoma has the following colleges and schools:
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Grove:
- MISSOURI SOUTHERN STATE COLLEGE (about 40 miles; JOPLIN, MO; Full-time enrollment: 4,569)
- NORTHWEST ARKANSAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 42 miles; BENTONVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,197)
- NORTHEASTERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 48 miles; TAHLEQUAH, OK; Full-time enrollment: 6,610)
- PITTSBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; PITTSBURG, KS; Full-time enrollment: 5,566)
- UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS MAIN CAMPUS (about 59 miles; FAYETTEVILLE, AR; Full-time enrollment: 13,324)
- TULSA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 86 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 8,727)
- UNIVERSITY OF TULSA (about 87 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,760)
Public high school in Grove:
- GROVE HS (Students: 714; Location: 300 FORD RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Grove:
- GROVE LOWER ES (Students: 750; Location: 801 WEST 10TH; Grades: PK – 03)
- GROVE MS (Students: 537; Location: 517 WEST 10TH STREET; Grades: 06 – 08)
- GROVE UPPER ES (Students: 352; Location: 801 W. 7TH; Grades: 04 – 05)